Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Day 23-- Flagstaff, AZ (Sun)

There is something about Flagstaff that I loved. Maybe it was the mix of old and new. Part of Route 66 goes right through (remember the song?). There is a college there- so you have a nice mix of stores and restaurants. Michael and I got this older, cheap, but very clean and safe hotel. That's my favorite combination. I met the lady in the room next to us who was there for a quilting convention and drove a Honda CR-V like us.

It was a nice relaxing night, away from the craziness of the Grand Canyon. The ride was only about 2 hours, so it was easy to get there. It's amazing how different the landscape in AZ can be. I live in NY, which is a huge state- but most of it looks similar- green, lush, hilly, etc. Arizona has such contrasts. As we drove through the GC area there were large forrest with tall pine trees. Flagstaff was surrounded by small mountains. But, the north east part of the state (like Page) is hot, dry, red rocks, etc. It's just a great variety. I would have to say NM and AZ have been the most interesting so far to me. Then again, I've been to 75% of the places we have visited so far, so it's not a fair statement. But, it's true.

(more pictures to follow)

No comments: