Friday, July 4, 2008

Day 14--Memphis & Russellville, AR

Today we did the usual. Got up, got ready, gassed up the car and got on the road. My goal was to drive as much as possible, so that Saturday wouldn’t be too hard. Michael and I did about 400 miles. Not bad.

It rained a little. Just enough to clean the windshield- which was nice. We got into Memphis around 2-3pm. Boy, the downtown area is really rough. I’m glad I wasn’t there at night. We were actually looking for the Whole Foods store. It took me a while to figure out it was called Wild Oats there.

We then left Memphis and crossed the Mississippi to Arkansas. It was the first time on the trip I went to a new state. For Michael, his first new state was TN. Anyway, the ride was kinda boring. I was listening to NPR, which was a lot more interesting than the 92 local country music stations.

I did see some road kill that I couldn’t identify. One animal looked like a bobcat and another like an armadillo. Of course they could have just been a dog and an opossum. But, one can dream.

I was tempted to stop in Little Rock and visit the President Clinton Library, but passed. Michael probably would have been bored out of his mind, unless there were bushes in the front to stim off of. With this lack of structure, he’s been so stimmy.

In the car Michael kept talking about seeing fireworks. I felt bad telling him we weren’t going to see any. He did get a chance to swim in the indoor pool around 8pm. Then around 9pm he took a bath. Then I heard someone banging on the window. Oh, I was wrong. It wasn’t banging. It was fireworks RIGHT outside of our hotel window. It couldn’t have been more perfect. Michael stood there in a towel watching the fireworks for about 20 minutes. He even recited his favorite poem “Boom go the fireworks” while watching the show. What a nice surprise tonight. Kind of made up for the fact we were on the road most of the day.

No comments: