Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Day Ten-- Hwy 58

Being the non-conformist that I am, I decided to take Hwy 58 across Virginia, instead of the interstate. It was a pretty nice ride. I loved that long bridge near Danville. Wish I could have taken pictures, but there was no where to stop. Sometimes I really wish I had someone else to drive so I could take pictures and video. But, I do my best.

As we approached the mountains, the clouds started to darken the sky. Michael kept yelling "Mommy, it's going to thunder over there" and pointed to the dark blue/grey sky. Thankfully it didn't thunder, but it did rain. Just enough to make the road slick. A little rain doesn't bother me, but little did I know of the drive up a 3000 foot mountain that was ahead of us.

The view was REALLY beautiful, not that I could see it. I purposely kept my eyes on the road, especially oncoming traffic. Some of these locals made me nervous speeding by. I pulled over twice just to let people by me. I just didn't feel comfortable going any way near the speed limit. I kept thinking to myself "I hope they just look at my New York plates."

There was one turn at "Lover's Leap". OMG- I think my heart jumped out of my chest. Part of me wanted to stop and take a picture and the other part of me wanted to die of fear. Usually I'm not afraid of heights, but the guardrails on these roads are a joke. It wouldn't stop a 10 speed. I kept thinking someone is going to come around a curve, slip on the wet road and knock into us- sending us thousands of feet off the side.

When you are in a situation like this, there is nothing to do but keep going. I kept my eyes on the road, played some familiar music and prayed. I also took the first exit for the Interstate and gladly jumped right on it. Oh, to breath again.

I thought to myself "I'm not going to do that again."

We arrived in Kingsport, TN around 9pm and got our hotel room. The girl at the desk was awesome and made us feel very welcome. I unpacked the 5 million or so boxes and got settled in. This night was a first stay in a hotel on the trip. Kinda feels like NOW the adventure begins.

No comments: