Friday, July 11, 2008

Day 21- Page, AZ

Today we took it easy and just went on one day trip- to Antelope Canyon. It was very beautiful. We sat in the back of this four-wheel truck and drove about 15 minutes to the site. The ride was fun and I was able to freely take pictures for once, which was nice.

Here is info from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antelope_Canyon

Antelope Canyon

Antelope Canyon is the most-visited and most-photographed slot canyon in the American Southwest.[1] It is located on Navajo land near Page, Arizona. Antelope Canyon includes two separate, photogenic slot canyon sections, referred to individually as Upper Antelope Canyon or The Crack; and Lower Antelope Canyon or The Corkscrew.[2]

Antelope Canyon was formed by erosion of Navajo Sandstone,[3] primarily due to flash flooding and secondarily due to other sub-aerial processes. Rainwater, especially during monsoon season, runs into the extensive basin above the slot canyon sections, picking up speed and sand as it rushes into the narrow passageways. Over time the passageways are eroded away, making the corridors deeper and smoothing hard edges in such a way as to form characteristic 'flowing' shapes in the rock.
Flooding in the canyon still occurs. A flood occurred on October 30, 2006 that lasted 36 hours, and caused the Tribal Park Authorities to close Lower Antelope Canyon for five months.

Tomorrow we're going to head to the Grand Canyon. I was going to go tonight, but it's over a 2 hour drive and a chance of bad weather- so I rearranged our plans. Tomorrow we're going to head to the Canyon in the morning and stay at a hotel about a mile outside the South Rim Gate. That way we do less driving (save a little on gas money) and get to pick the best part of the day depending on the weather.

I'm also going to give Michael his own camera tomorrow. Of course I lost my small camera case today with 3 memory cards in it- but thankfully I downloaded all my photos and burned them to DVD's and a second copy on an external hard drive. So, nothing lost, but about $50 in memory cards and a used case. I still have my large one with me, so everything is fine.

Tomorrow Michael will be able to take hundreds of photos if he wants. This might be a good thing, because it will keep him focused on something other than stimming all day.

Btw- we are in the Mountain Time Zone and 3 hours behind NY. I can't tell if Michael is on track, but I'm going to bed earlier and getting up earlier than I'm used to.

Here are some of the photos I took from the Canyon:










No comments: