Monday, July 7, 2008

Day 17-- Texas

We left Norman around noon. My cell phone, computer and clock in the car all are on EST- so I'm a little messed up when it comes to time. LOL. Anyway, there was this dog at the hotel and the owner (of the hotel) was going to bring it to the pound (to be put to sleep eventually) and I couldn't leave until I knew it was ok. Honestly, I would have taken the dog myself if I didn't have a million miles to drive. I've never traveled with a dog before. So, I found this lady who lives down the street from the hotel to take the dog. She said she would try to find the owner. I hope so. She was so sweet and wearing a collar, so I'm sure some family is out there missing her.

We headed west on Route 40. Western OK looks a lot different than Eastern OK. First of all, the roads were in better shape. Second, a lot more roadkill. Third, it started to look more like what you expect Texas to be like-- cattle, rolling hills, etc.

We saw a bunch of "wind farms". I think they are so cool, but they don't photograph very well. At one point I saw about 100 of them in a line.

We hit the border of Texas and Oklahoma and pulled over for a quick photo. I was expected a tourist center, like every other state in the country, but Texas seems to not care about their visitors. I wanted to get gas, go to the bathroom and get a map. But, there was nothing but a sign.

Holy cow Texas is windy. I was getting about 3 mpg less and I don't know if it was because I was going up hill more or because of the wind. Maybe it was my AC. But, I've been using the AC for 2 weeks and haven't gotten mileage this bad.

We did stop at a visitor center. They had a playground, picnic tables, bar-b-q's shaped like the state of Texas.... but no maps. The bathrooms did double as a tornado shelter. They had this beautiful building and no tourist information. I did shoot some cool pictures from the overlook.



I noticed a lot of rivers in Texas are dry. It's pretty cool to see the cutout of where they lake or river was. Some of those cows looked mighty thirsty.

Tomorrow we continue into the southwest. I'm watching the weather and they are expecting rain. Oh well. We'll just have to wait and see.

Blogger isn't letting me upload pictures. But, I will have them up asap. :(

3 comments:

jo said...

Hi Christine and Michael,
Love this site, it's like having you on LO-JACK, only better because you tell stories at the end of each day! Stay safe and have fun.
Love,
JoAnne and Joe

Unknown said...

Hi again Christine and Michael,
I am really enjoying your blog! I feel like I am sharing your adventure! (it sounds like quite an adventure) Keep cool and safe and keep on blogging! Love, Gina

Anonymous said...

I can't believe how far you guys have gotten already. It's already been quite the adventure and you're not even halfway done!