Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Day 18-- New Mexico


For some reason I was SO happy to cross the border to New Mexico. It was the first time I was really excited to see a new state on the trip. Texas just gave me the creeps and it wasn't because of George Bush. Although that probably did have something to do with it. Or maybe it was the crappy motel, which I will check off as a lesson learned. But, it was such a relief to hit NM. First of all, the had a REAL welcome center. A family took our picture in front of the big sign.

Overall, NM totally surprised me. It's like a 360* postcard. It's the least boring state I have ever seen. I was amazed at all the mountains, valleys, rocks and scenic views. The speed limit was 75, but I was going between 60-65 most of the way. There wasn't much traffic, so people didn't care- they just went around me. I could have driven forever on the highway, which was part of the old Route 66.

To me, New Mexico is a magical place. I didn't even see any tourist attractions, museums or whatever people usually do there. I was just blown away by the landscape. It's exactly what you expect and more.

Michael and I changed our plans around a little and go to Albuquerque around 2pm and had lunch at Applebees ($10 for both of us). Then we checked in to our hotel at 3pm, unpacked, relaxed and did some laundry. It was a nice break. This time I stayed at a hotel with families (that's my new rule).

No comments: