Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Day 19--NM to Colorado







Today we drove from Albuq. to Gallup. Then we drove through Navaho Reservation country to a small town right over the border in Cortez, Colorado. I wanted to go to Four Corners. So, this is the best place to stop. It's really a beautiful view from the hotel parking lot. Our window shows the dirt in the alley behind the hotel. But, it is in a really nice area.

Again, New Mexico is amazing. We saw more of it today. I also saw a prairie dog for the first time in my life. I know, exciting. But I love seeing new wildlife.

The native Americans were REALLY living in horrible conditions. No matter the politics involved, it was amazing to me to see these old trailers and stone houses falling apart at the foot of these beautiful mountains.

Also, we got 35 MPG- the most EVER! I saw a man in the hotel parking lot and we were talking "travel" and he said the same thing. They were getting really good milage too. Must be the altitude.

Michael took a swim and then a bath. Now he's sitting in bed watching videos on the DVD player and I'm working on the blog (of course). The last two days were really great. I'm so glad we drove through New Mexico. I posted just a few of the hundreds of pictures I took from the car. I'm getting really good at driving and shooting.

Thanks again for reading our blog and commenting. We appreciate it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey I didn't realize you were going to Colorado too. I thought you were just going straight across NM and into Arizona. Are you going to take Michael to the 4 Corners?

Christine said...

I wasn't planning on going.

What happened was- I cancelled my reservations at the hostel in Taos. I didn't know if they had AC or TV or things like that and thought we would be more comfortable in larger cities and hotels.

So, we went across to Albuq. and then up through the Navaho reservation to Colorado. Yes- we are going to 4 corners this afternoon. It's on our way to Page and the Grand Canyon.

Thanks for posting.