Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Day 35-- Monterey, CA

Well, we took the backass way to Monterey from LA. I was surprised to see how dry and desert like it was. There were lots of farms, but that was pretty much it. The most exciting part of the trip was paying $4.99 for gas. Yes, that's right. And when we got to the next big town the gas was $4.31. Crazy.

I was going to take Route 1 along the ocean, but I didn't want to add hours to our trip. Also, I didn't know if there were fires in that area and all I kept thinking was we would have to take a detour that was 100's of miles out of the way.

We stayed at the Youth Hostel in Monterey. It was ok. The area was very pretty, about 4 blocks from the bay or ocean- not sure exactly what to call it. We had a private room. The building was very noisy at night so I had to put headphones on and watch an episode of The Office to fall asleep. The people next to us kept slamming their door too- which didn't help. But, at least we felt safe.

After putting our stuff in the room, we headed down to the water. We ate at this Italian place. I found that many time Italian restaurants have grilled chicken- which is Michael's favorite. And of course there is always something for me, the vegetarian. I got the pesto. It was good, but not as good as the pesto in Flagstaff, AZ.

I have a new joke. How do you know someone lives in Monterey? They have bird poop all over their car.

Boy- there are a lot of sea gulls in Monterey. And they are the loudest gulls I have ever seen- and I've lived near the ocean most of my life. They were louder than dogs barking. LOL.

(Pictures of Monterey to come)

No comments: