Thursday, July 24, 2008

Day 25-- Phoenix & Yuma, AZ

Our first stop today was at the Science Museum in Phoenix. It wasn't as big as the one in Oklahoma, but it was nice. The best part was the section on weather. They had this virtual reality thing where you stand in the stage with surround sound speakers and watch a video on weather. When the earthquake comes up, they shake the floor. When the hurricane comes on the screen, they blow wind and water on you. Michael thought it was the funniest thing. He did it about 5 times.

The second stop was the military grocery store. I wanted to stock up on drinks and some snacks. I'm really finding out what works well on the road. The big cooler- can't live without it. It keeps drinks cold for days. We didn't get a lot, there organic fruit and veggie section was about 2 feet across- not much of a selection.

The road from Phoenix to Yuma (on the border of AZ and CA) is pretty boring. Honestly, I don't remember a lot of it. I'll have to look at the pictures. Phoenix was interesting to me though. I'm glad we went. My Grandfather lived there for years back around the 70's. It really was hot. Many people had awnings to cover the cars in the driveways. After pulling out of the store, I understood why. My car was baking.

Phoenix is also very large. There were many shopping centers, malls, etc. on the outskirts and suburbs of the city. Everything was new. I really wouldn't mind living there if it wasn't so hot. My in-laws spend their winters in nearby Scottdale, which seems like the smart thing to do.

We stopped in Yuma, which is 3 miles from the CA border. The town was filled with trailers. Not "trailer park" trailers, but RV trailers. I couldn't tell if they were temporary or not. Why would anyone want to live in this desert town in July? Well, a few thousands people do. Yuma was a good place to stop. There were plenty of restaurants to chose from and the hotel was affordable. I got some laundry done too.

(pictures to come)

No comments: