Friday, August 29, 2008

Day 68 & 68B-- Sesame Place in PA

Well, Michael and I FINALLY got to Sesame Place today. I lasted about 4 hours. We went back to my cousin's and I actually fell asleep. I feel like a 4 year old- LOL. But, I think mentally I've taken about all I can. We have 2 more stops and I almost jumped into the car today and drove back to Middle Island. But, we are going to finish! I only have to get through the next few days.

Tomorrow we head to upstate New York to my x-roommate Donna and her family. I lived with her for 6 months when I was pregnant, so it's like going home in a way. I'm actually looking forward to getting back into the car. Can you believe that? I think Michael is fine with it too. I don't think he ever said seriously "let's go home". Pretty amazing! Any typical kid probably would have asked 100 times. Autism does have its advantages.

I kind messed up with the days--Wednesday was Michael's Birthday, Thurs. was Sesame Place and Friday we left for upstate. Here is the post for Friday:

Michael and I left the Iversons in PA around 1pm. It rained on and off the whole trip, but thankfully it never got bad. We drove north through Scranton and into New York State. We haven’t seen NYS since June 21st- so it’s been a long time. I have to admit I was happy to cross the border into my home state. There was a welcome center before Binghampton, which I never knew existed. But, it was one of the better ones (of course-lol).

The ride from Binghampton to Donna’s house was very pretty. Right when we got off the Interstate onto the back road I thought I saw a pair of eagles. I couldn’t believe it. I lived in NYS for about 30 years and NEVER saw an eagle. The past two months I’ve seen about 20 of them. So, after about 30 minutes of being in NYS, we see an eagle. Well, I do consider eagles and herons my lucky birds- so it was fitting.

We drove through Ithaca and saw all the college students around Cornell University. I always love driving through Ithaca. Last year I took the same route and got a little lost, but the GPS was perfect this time. When I went to college in Cortland about 20 years ago, we used to visit Ithaca once in a while- so it almost feels like home to me.

I noticed there is a huge difference in my comfort level when I’m driving in a familiar place. I guess that makes sense. But, once I hit the Scranton area- I felt good.

We got to Donna’s house around 8pm. Donna made me the BEST sauce. It had squash and zucchini in it. I don’t even like squash and zucchini, but this tasted sooooo good. I have to really give Donna some props. We hung out and talked until about 1am (as usual). I lived with Donna for about 6 months when I was pregnant. She was also one of my roommates in college. Donna and her husband Ken have 3 kids around Michael’s age. He was excited to be there too.

(pictures to come)

No comments: