Monday, August 25, 2008

Day 65-- Triadelphia, WV

This morning Michael woke up to say goodbye to Scott and the kids. It was reported to me that Jordan, age 4, said "goodbye Michael. I love you" -which is probably one of the most sweetest things I've ever heard. I wish I actually heard it, but I was sleeping. LOL. I think it was a great experience for Michael to be around kids his age. The whole trip we've been hanging out with some really cool kids- typical and on the spectrum. I'm really happy that Michael has been able to have those exchanges.

We packed up, had a quick lunch with Scott and headed on the road. Oh wait- couldn't find the cord to the GPS and Blackberry phone. So, we ran into Target to buy one. Then Michael wanted a new Backyardigans DVD. I also picked up an Ohio State t-shirt for him while we were there. I think we got onto the highway around 4:30pm.

The landscape went from flat farmland to hills and then mountains. We crossed into Wheeling, WV- which was very pretty at that time of day. Again, couldn't get a picture while I was driving- but it was nice. We stopped in a town called Triadelphia. It actually took me a few hours to figure out where we were- LOL.

The sunset from the hotel was beautiful. (pictures to come) We tried to go swimming, but the pool was too cold. It was the first time Michael ever said no to swimming, so the pool must have been REALLY cold.

If you look at a map, we are in a small stretch of West Virginia between Ohio and PA. Come to think of it, WV might be the official last "new state" for Michael. I thought it was ND, but I think it may be WV. I think I was in WV years ago when driving from Niagara Falls to Virginia Beach.

Michael and I are now fighting over the remote control. He wants to watch the weather channel and I want to watch the Democratic Convention.

We're feeling closer to home, I guess because we are. But, part of me is looking forward to not packing and unpacking every few days. The driving part wasn't bad. It's more the stress of keeping us safe and trying not to lose something at every stop. I feel great now that we learned not to stay at the cheapest hotel. It's been a good plan lately.

I talked to my cousin Annette tonight and found out her sister Josephine's dog passed away last month- and I missed it. I called Jo and left a message (her dog was like her baby). But, it got me thinking about Kirby. Kirby's my loyal cat for the last 16 years. He went missing the day we left on the trip. My roommate has not seen him. Some of the neighbors saw him the first couple of weeks- but no word in over a month. He's got a tag and a phone number, but no call.

I don't know if I'll ever see him again. I honestly think he knew we were leaving. It will be interesting to see if he returns when we return. I'll keep you all posted.

Well, tomorrow we'll be in Langhorne, PA again. It was one of the first stops on the trip. Then we head upstate to visit with my x-roommate from college, Donna, and her family. I'm looking forward to the end of our trip, but sad to see it almost over.

No comments: