Saturday, August 2, 2008

Day 42-- CANADA!

Well, we are in Canada now. It's the first time for Michael being in another country. We got through the border crossing ok. I was a little worried. When you are traveling with your child alone they may think you are trying to kidnap him. Little do they know- LOL. Anyway, the woman working the booth was asking me all these questions like "why did you drive here all the way from NY to see Vancouver for a few days?". I said "well, we are on a two month cross country trip". She then said, "well, doesn't Brent have to be back when school starts?". I said "school doesn't start until Sept. 3rd."

Then she asked me why we lived in NY and Michael's dad lived in San Diego. Oh lord. My quick answer was "because my son has autism and he needs the special services in NY". She didn't even ask me about carrying fruit (which is what I expected).

I did some research and everyone said to keep your answers short and simple and don't explain too much. Also, don't joke around. It was hard for me to do that. But, we got through. The sun was setting at the border crossing and it was really pretty. We're staying about 15 miles east of Vancouver for 2 nights. The wireless works great- so I'm happy.

The TV here is a mix of US and Canadian stations. The weather channel is different. Even the internet is different. When I clicked on Yahoo it defaulted to the Canadian Yahoo and News.

Anyway, tomorrow we're going to sight see in Vancouver. I got a bunch of brochures from the lobby. We might go on a whale watching trip or sightseeing tour. I can't wait to see the city- I hear it's really beautiful. Hopefully I won't feel bad about missing Squamish, BC. The road is closed for days. I had to cancel our reservations there. Who would have seen that coming? Falling rocks that blocked the road.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

gaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! this is so inspiring!

my fiance just ended our engagement and i've decided to do a road trip across the country on my own with my dog.

you rock!

Anonymous said...

OH CANADA!!!!

I'm still waiting for the whale watching pictures!!

Glad you decided to go to Squamish!