Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Day 44-- Surprise Squamish!


So- here is a picture of the rock slide.

Saturday night my good friend Kerrie emailed me that they opened the road. I wasn't sure what to do for Sunday, because I didn't want to drive all the way there and drive back in one day, especially if the traffic was bad. So, I made a few calls and pushed back some hotel reservations. (AFTER CLEAN UP)

Sunday Michael and I arrived in Squamish. It's a small town about an hour north of Vancouver. The reason why I wanted to go there in the first place was because that is where they filmed one of my favorite shows, Men in Trees. Of course ABC killed the show, so we couldn't see any actual filming. But, I did see some locations from the show- like downtown in front of the Chieftan hotel and the docks.

Squamish was more updated that I expected. They are having the 2010 Olympics in the area, so there was a lot of construction and new buildings. It was a cute, little town. Michael and I walked around, which of course was boring as hell for him, but I was enjoying taking pictures. We stayed at this hostel type inn right on the river. It was nice and relaxing. Whenever I'm in area like this I just want to go off in the woods and sit near a river by myself or something. I look forward to Park Rapids, MN.

Anyway, Michael and I drove over to the Squamish Days event- where they have a logging competition. But, it was over. We should have went earlier in the day. It looked pretty cool and basically nothing else was going on. I didn't realize that everyone was on vacation because the next day was BC Day- a holiday in British Columbia.

Oh and the drive to Squamish was AMAZING!!!!! The road is called the Sea to Sky Highway. The winding road (the only road) runs along the bay. One side HUGE mountains, some with snow caps. Other side, the water. Some parts had 2 lanes and they had cement barriers, so I felt pretty safe compared to some roads. It was a most beautiful ride I've taken in the last three weeks for sure.


SEE CANADA PHOTOS HERE: (click on top for all 4 pages)


No comments: