Friday, August 1, 2008

Day 39-- Driving to Seattle/Buckley, WA


Michael and I left Yreka, CA around 11am and headed north. The smoke was pretty bad and covered up many of the mountains. It took about 30 minutes or so and we were in Oregon. The skies got clearer with every mile. I was finally able to open the windows. It was nice and cool.

Oregon was pretty much what I expected- lots of pine trees and mountains. I could see why people live there. It seems like a nice place. Portland was HUGE. That I didn't expect. It was hard to see a lot of the city because I was driving through a lot of traffic and there were a lot of bridges. I had to keep my eyes on the road. I was able to snap a few photos though.

I would have to say that their were parts of Route 5 that were stunning. I like when the highway runs along the river. It's so scenic. I wished so many times I could pull the car over, climb down the mountain and play in the river. I'm looking forward to visiting Minnesota, where I get to go boating and fishing!

As we headed into Washington State the rain began to fall. Big surprise. LOL. We arrived at our friend's house in Buckley, Washington around 8:30pm. Carolyn and Chris were nice enough to let us stay with them for three nights. They used to live across the street from my sister in Rocky Point, Long Island. They moved to WA about 2 years ago when Chris got a job with a bike manufacturer. They have great three kids- one with high functioning PDD-NOS (on the autism spectrum).

If you stand on their front lawn you can see Mt. Rainier. It's a really pretty area. Michael was happy to see familiar faces again. When he gets to someone's house, he makes himself right at home (so do I for that matter). It's amazing to think how easy Michael can adapt to all of the places we have stayed. I keep thinking that rock stars do this all the time. LOL.

(pictures to come)

No comments: