Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Day 43-- Vancouver, BC

Today was a great day. The weather was perfect. I thought it would be really cold, especially on the water. But, it was nice. We headed to Richmond, BC around noon for our 2pm boat trip. We checked in around 1pm and headed over to a restaurant on the docks. The area reminded me of Port Jefferson Harbor, for those of you on Long Island.

I did my usually check "do you have grilled chicken and french fries?". The place said they would make it special (gotta love it). The whole restaurant was on a dock over looking the harbor. It was so pretty and somewhat familiar. Probably because I've spent a lot of time in Port Jeff. I got some type of lemon pasta without the prawns (shrimp) and was a little scared, but it was perfect and very satisfying. Anything with pesto in it and I'm happy. I also got the sweet potato fries. Michael's meal was perfect too and so the day was off to a great start.

The boat we were going out on seated about 30 people. The back was open, but the front was covered. We sat near the front and opened the big windows- so it was perfect. Not too much wind, but you could see everything. Our tour guide, Alex (a girl from England) started with a speech about getting seasick. Oh no. I'm thinking about that wonderful lunch I had and what a weak stomach I have. But, I was determined to not get sick.

We start off seeing a pair of bald eagles. I've seen a few eagles before, but not this close up. Then there were some seals in the water fighting. Excellent so far- can't wait to see the whales.

The boat left about 40 minutes late because the cruise before had to go really far to find the whales. But, the good news was that we now knew exactly where they were. I didn't care how long we were on the boat. It cost me about $200 for both of us, so the longer the better.

I was doing my usual thing and shooting both photos and video. I downloaded the video, but haven't edited it yet. But, I will try to get that up soon. Michael was pretty excited, as were all of us. We saw probably 10 whales. Alex said that we were spoiled, because usually you don't see that much action. It was really incredible. I've never seen a whale in my life.


One whale kept jumping. He would always jump twice in a row. It was great for getting pictures. What a show off.

I'm going to post a few pictures here and the rest you can find on my Mac account. Once I upload those, I'll put the link here.

After the 4 hour boat trip we drove through the city of Vancouver during sunset. It was stunning. I couldn't get all the photos I wanted (of course) because I was driving. But, the sky was pink and orange. Vancouver is hard to describe. It's very unique. Beautiful water (rivers, harbors, lakes, streams, etc) hills like San Francisco and snow capped mountains. It was a lot larger than I thought it was be. We also drove through Granville Island- which seemed like a scene from Blade Runner. There were odd characters everywhere- homeless, drug users, it even smelled weird. I thought to myself, "Well, now I saw the bad part of Vancouver".

By the time Michael and I got back to the hotel we were wiped. It was a long day- but really good. One of the best days of the trip so far.

No comments: